Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default date problem

If you see 28905, then either format the cell as a date (format|cells|number
tab)

or make sure you're looking at dates (not formulas).

Tools|Options|view tab|uncheck Formulas

(Ctrl-` (control-backquote to the left of 1/! on my USA keyboard is the shortcut
key toggle)

I'd change the data back to real dates. It maybe important if you ever need
real dates.

evilyn wrote:

this is probably some rookie mistake that i am just not thinking of.
i enter the date 2.19.1979 but it shows as 28905 & i can't make it
show the other way. i have 3 worksheets in the workbook & only 1
shows the dates this way. i tried the obvious format cells option but
it didn't change.

its monday & my brain is not working right, your help is appreciated.
thanks, e

--

Dave Peterson