Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Will[_3_] Will[_3_] is offline

Default XIRR Requiring Sale Price 0

I am noticing some strange behaviors in the XIRR function in Excel 2003.

First, if an investment is wiped out, and I have a sale price of $0 on the
final date, XIRR gives a #NUM error. I have to fudge past this by making
the sale price $0.01. Why does XIRR forbid $0 for the sale price?

Second, if the Sale date is not about eight months in the future, XIRR also
gives a #NUM error. When modeling a stock investment, the purchase and
sale might be within a three week period. So having to fudge the sale
date to eight months in the future makes the model artificial.

Any way around these two issues?

--
Will