Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default text to col with embedded mystery box

Chip Pearson has a very nice addin that will help determine what that
character(s) is:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.aspx

Depending on what that character is, you may be able to use alt-#### (from the
number keypad) to enter the character into the Other box in the text to columns
wizard dialog.

In fact, you may be able to select the character (in the formula bar), and copy
it. Then use ctrl-v to paste into that text to columns Other box.

If that fails, you could use a different technique to change those funny
character to a different (but type-able) character (like the broken vertical bar
|).

I saved this from a previous post. You may find it useful:

You may be able to use Edit|Replace to change the character--Some characters can
be entered by holding the alt-key and typing the hex number on the numeric
keypad. For example, alt-0010 (or ctrl-j) can be used for linefeeds. But I've
never been able to get alt-0013 to work for carriage returns.

Another alternative is to fix it via a formula:

=substitute(a1,char(##),"|")

Replace ## with the ASCII value you see in Chip's addin.

Or you could use a macro (after using Chip's CellView addin):

Option Explicit
Sub cleanEmUp()

Dim myBadChars As Variant
Dim myGoodChars As Variant
Dim iCtr As Long

myBadChars = Array(Chr(##)) '<--What showed up in CellView?

myGoodChars = Array("|")

If UBound(myGoodChars) < UBound(myBadChars) Then
MsgBox "Design error!"
Exit Sub
End If

For iCtr = LBound(myBadChars) To UBound(myBadChars)
ActiveSheet.Cells.Replace What:=myBadChars(iCtr), _
Replacement:=myGoodChars(iCtr), _
LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
MatchCase:=False
Next iCtr

End Sub

If you're new to macros:

Debra Dalgleish has some notes how to implement macros he
http://www.contextures.com/xlvba01.html

David McRitchie has an intro to macros:

Ron de Bruin's intro to macros:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/code.htm

(General, Regular and Standard modules all describe the same thing.)

Craig860 wrote:

Hi,
Im trying to use the text to col function in excel and have hit a snag.
My source data looks like this:
"DEPT OF SPECIAL SERVICES –¡ 760 COOPER ST.–¡ AGAWAM MA 01001"
I think these little boxes are CR returns because when I paste it as is in
word it appears line under line.
When I do the text to columns feature and I choose OTHER as the seperator I
can't insert this little box. Even when I do a find replace it doesn't see it.
I want it so each cell a, b, c has the name, street address, city and state
etc.
I even tried doing a find replace to change the box to something else.
Any ideas?

--

Dave Peterson