Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld Ron Rosenfeld is offline

Default Excel 2003 Multiplication Question

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 10:55:00 -0800, Stumped In Indy <Stumped In
wrote:

If I use a calculator to multiply $2,136,974 x 1.1201 x 0.9440, I get an
answer of $2,259,582 (This should be the correct answer -- the last two
numbers in the formula are supposed to be loads and decrements to the
original number)

If I multiply these same numbers in Excel using the same order and a formula
of E10*E17*E18, I get an answer of $23,386

If I multiply these same numbers in Excel using the same order and a formula
of E10*1+E17*1+E18, I get an answer of $2,136,976

What am I doing wrong in setting up the Excel formula? I'm using Excel 2003
Professional, but I don't think that makes any difference.

For the second formula, what would you expect the result to be?

If the result is different than what you expect, you are likely ignoring the
documented precedence of operators. You can control that by adding appropriate
parentheses.

With regard to the first formula, I get the same answer as does your
calculator, so there is likely an error in your formula or your data that is
not apparent from your post.
--ron