Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Seantastic Seantastic is offline

Default Look up part of a number within a serial number and cpy back assoc

I have a spreadsheet with 2 tabs.

First tab is named €śinventory€ť
In column €śH€ť the are serial numbers in the following formats
ABBC.1234567
ABBC.1234567_RM
ABBC.1234567_FT
The only part of the serial number that interests me is the middle numbers
(i.e. 1234567)

In column €śA€ť I have a list of €śpart code€ť

In my second tab called €śparts€ť
In column E there is a list of the middle numbers found in the first tab
(i.e. 1234567)

In my I would like to look up the number in Column €śE€ť from sheet €śparts€ť
(my second tab) that is found somewhere in column €śH€ť in the middle of the
serial number in sheet €śinventory€ť, get the associated €śpart code€ť from
column €śA€ť and copy it back into sheet €śparts€ť (my second tab) in column €śL€ť

Sheet €śinventory€ť
A H
123 ABBC.1234467
456 ABBC.1234547_RM