Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
ghinzrey ghinzrey is offline

Default Conditional Formating on three digit numeric cell database

Sorry, there's three digits in each cell except that leading zeros aren't
seen. Got a lot of datas now and means repetitive. Would like reviewing datas
by color shading. Say, I need looking up cells containing 123 in any order
and thus color shading. Can this be possible?

"ShaneDevenshire" wrote:

Hi,

I'm going to set up a fancy solution, it may be overkill:

1. I set up a range of three cells where you can enter you 3 digits, one in
each cell. I used P1:P3 and for a test I entered 5, 6, and 7 respectively.
2. Set up a series of cell containing the following formulas:

=--(P$1&P$2&P$3)
=--(P$1&P$3&P$2)
=--(P$2&P$1&P$3)
=--(P$2&P$3&P$1)
=--(P$3&P$2&P$1)
=--(P$3&P$1&P$2)

I put these in cell P5:P10. These are all the 3 digit combinations of the
entries in P1:P3.

3. Highlight your range and choose Format, Conditional Formatting, and
choose Formula is from the first drop down pick Formula is
4. In the second box enter the following formula:

=OR(Q1=$P$5,Q1=$P$6,Q1=$P$7,Q1=$P$8,Q1=$P$9,Q1=$P$ 10)

5. Click Format, and pick a color on the Patterns tab.

The beauty of this is you can enter any three number in P1:P3 and you will
be applying the conditional formatting to three digit combinations of those
numbers.

Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"ghinzrey" wrote:

Have created a three digit (including zeros) numerical database in the range
A2-A35 expanding now up to CC2-CC35. Note that leading zeros are not shown.
My wish is to find the cells of same numerics in any random or repetitive
(ex:567,576,657,675,756,765) in the whole database and to color shade. How
can I?