Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
ShaneDevenshire ShaneDevenshire is offline

Default Vlookup takes too long to save

Hi,

One problem is that VLOOKUP is resource intensive, so having a lot of them
can really impact performance.

There are lots of things you can try, for example you could put the workbook
into manual recalculation mode before saving and dispable the option to
recalculte before saving. You might be able to write more efficient
formulas, but we would need to see the current formulas. For example, If you
have formulas like this
=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,Table,3,FALSE)),"",VLOOKUP(A1, Table,3,FALSE)) you can
simplify them in 2007 to
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(A1,Table,3,FALSE),"")

Here is a detailed discussion of how to improve performance in Excel 2007

Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Rickoshae" wrote:

Hey guys,

I have a master file that holds prices and other data (text) which feeds
directly to 3 other files...If I update a price in the master file it
propogates through to the other files, using the vlookup function.
In theory this is great. However, when I save it, it takes too long...and I
mean long...each file has around 20,000 lines...

I am using Vista with 2007 office.

If I combine each file as a worksheet onto the same workbook...the file size
become around 50meg...and unworkable...any ideas?

Thanks, Rick