Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Luke M Luke M is offline

Default Search for one answer on multiple criteria (excel 2003)

There's probably a way to do this more efficiently, but this worked for me:

=IF(ISERROR(INDEX(C2:C7,SUMPRODUCT((A2:A7=D2)*(B2: B7=E2)))),"D",INDEX(C2:C7,SUMPRODUCT((A2:A7=D2)*( B2:B7=E2))))

Number of people in households listed in D2, income listed in E2.

Hope it helps!
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"ahwahneeliz" wrote:

What bothers me the most is I had this before, but the file got deleted.
Anyway,
By entering a number in each of two cells, I need to look up an exact
quantity (number of people from 1 to 8) from column 1, a less than or equal
to value from column 2, and display the matching item from column 3. If you
need to make more columns or whatever, feel free. This is simply a table for
people who qualify for a lunch program. If there are a certain number of
persons in the household, and the household earns less than X$, then they
qualify for F, R, or D do not qualify. I don't mind if it looks up for the D
value, or just assumes the D value because of a false result.

a1 a2 a3
Persons in House income category
1 1100 f
1 1300 r
2 1250 f
2 1400 r
3 1350 f
3 1680 r
and so on.
Thanks in advance. I've been pulling my hair out trying to recreate the
formula.