Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Seantastic Seantastic is offline

Default Look Up march and copy info back - Help! confused!!

Thanks but - My blank "A" column already exists in my "Users" tab where I
want the computer names to be copied to from the other list (inventory)

I copied the formular into the column "A" of my "User" tab and it did not
work (contains errors)

inventory Tab
A I J
computer Name First Last

Users Tab
A B C
-blank- First Last

I want to find the same First & last Names that appear in "Users" Tab in the
"inventory" Tab then copy the associate info from column A back into the
blank column A of the "Users" Tab.

"Duke Carey" wrote:

OK, keep in mind that you run the risk of failure if:

The First names in each sheet are not identical - i.e., Walter in one and
Wally in the other.
Ditto for last names - and for both first and last this could also mean that
one list has spaces after the names and the other doesn't.
If you have more than one Wally Smith, or Fannie Jones.

I'm sure there are other causes for failure, too, beyond these

Anyway, create a new column A on your first sheet and in it enter this
formula (remember that the First & Last names have been bumped over one
column because of the new column A)

=J2&" - "&K2

Using this you have a new column of names in the form "Wally-Smith"

On the Users sheet use this ARRAY formula. Array formulas are entered by
pressing Ctrl-Shift-Enter

=VLOOKUP(b2&"-"&c2,Inventory!$a2:$b8279,2,0)

Copy that formula down

"Seantastic" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with 2 tabs.

First tab is named €śinventory€ť and has a list of €ścomputer names€ť in column
€śA€ť (from row 2 to 8729) the user €śFirst Name€ť in column €śI€ť and the users
€śLast Name€ť in column €śJ€ť.
There is no particular order in this list and the names are in some random
order.

My second tab is named €śUsers€ť and has a list of the user €śFirst Name€ť in
column €śB€ť and the users €śLast Name€ť in column €śC€ť. Column €śA€ť is blank.
There is no particular order in this list and the names are in random order.

I want excel to take the First Name and Last Name that are in the €śUsers€ť
tab look it up (match) the Same First and Last Name in the €śinventory€ť and
copy the associate €ścomputer name€ť from Column €śA€ť back into the blank column
€śA€ť of my €śUsers€ť tab.

I tried this functions =VLOOKUP(C2;Inventory!J2:K8729;2)
but the problem I got was
1) It only looked at Last Names (and I have a few Smiths)
2) When it encountered blank spaces in tab €śinventory€ť in would not continue
lower
3) Did not go through all the list in tab €śinventory€ť
4) Did not work €“ I do not really know what I am doing!!
vvvv