Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Seantastic Seantastic is offline

Default Look Up march and copy info back - Help! confused!!

Excel Office 2003

"Seantastic" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with 2 tabs.

First tab is named €śinventory€ť and has a list of €ścomputer names€ť in column
€śA€ť (from row 2 to 8729) the user €śFirst Name€ť in column €śI€ť and the users
€śLast Name€ť in column €śJ€ť.
There is no particular order in this list and the names are in some random
order.

My second tab is named €śUsers€ť and has a list of the user €śFirst Name€ť in
column €śB€ť and the users €śLast Name€ť in column €śC€ť. Column €śA€ť is blank.
There is no particular order in this list and the names are in random order.

I want excel to take the First Name and Last Name that are in the €śUsers€ť
tab look it up (match) the Same First and Last Name in the €śinventory€ť and
copy the associate €ścomputer name€ť from Column €śA€ť back into the blank column
€śA€ť of my €śUsers€ť tab.

I tried this functions =VLOOKUP(C2;Inventory!J2:K8729;2)
but the problem I got was
1) It only looked at Last Names (and I have a few Smiths)
2) When it encountered blank spaces in tab €śinventory€ť in would not continue
lower
3) Did not go through all the list in tab €śinventory€ť
4) Did not work €“ I do not really know what I am doing!!
vvvv