Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
WD WD is offline

Default Excel Spreadsheet

My apologize let me explain further:
I am told to use the "What-if" function to calculate this:

Build 5 stores within 34 months.
Start bldg 3/2008, finish by 8/2011.
Construction slows down from Jan thru Apr months due to weather, crew only
works 4 days week at 6hrs day.
Crew works May thru Dec 6 days week @ 8hrs day.
Using the What-if function can the crew build 5 stores in 35 months.

I have been trying to figure it out and cannot come up with an answer, I
don't know how to use the what-if function to figure it out. I am trying to
learn this before my final exam in 4wks. Can you assist.
"Gord Dibben" wrote:

I wouldn't know where to begin either.

First of all...............48 hours a day is hard to achieve<g

Second of all............there are so many unknowns in your parameters that
it would be impossible to estimate.

How large are the buildings?

How many persons to a crew?

I would think several thousand with all sub-trades covered could do it
faster than a pair of mokes like you and me.

Tell your instructor to provide you with much more detail if he really wants
you to do this problem.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 11:36:14 -0700, wd wrote:

I am new to excel and I was given this problem to practice, but dont know
where to begin. I have to create a spreadsheet and answer these questions:
A construction firm need to open 5 stores by Mar 20, 2011
Start of construction Mar 20, 2008
Construction slows down from Jan thru Apr months
Bldg need to open by Aug 2011
Am I able to open all 5 stores in 35 months
Crew works 6 days a week @ 48 hrs a day.

How do I create this?