Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom[_2_] Peo Sjoblom[_2_] is offline

Default How do I get a value instead of an error or txt in an Excel ce

Thanks.

I seemed to have opened to reply to group windows and I pasted the link into
the one that I closed <g

Peo Sjoblom

"T. Valko" wrote in message
You can install this macro, select the import and run the macro

You forgot the macro!

Did you mean this one?

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote in message
It's not a good way of handling DIV errors because it will hide other
errors

It's better to use

=IF(B1=0,0,A1/B1)

You can install this macro, select the import and run the macro

Peo Sjoblom

"LHW" wrote in message

I understand how the ISERROR() function handles division by zero in your
example; =IF(ISERROR(A1/B1),0,A1/B1) converts the value in cell B1 to
the
numeral 0. However, the problem I have encountered is that numbers are
downloaded as text with three trailing spaces. I have to manually
remove
these trailing spaces to use these numbers in the calculation. This is
time consuming task.

Is there a better way to automatically convert numbers stored as text to
numeric format? I suppose I could write a macro to automatically remove
three characters from the end of each item in a one-dimensional array
(in my
case), but I've never written a macro in Excel 2007. Can the VALUE
function
not be used to convert text to numbers? I have had no luck using it to
do so.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,

Lewis Williams

"JLatham" wrote:

"wrap" your formula inside of an IF statement with a test to see if it
creates an error or not. Consider this

A B C
1 5 0 =A1/B1
will give you a #DIV/0 error

But if you do this at C1:
=IF(ISERROR(A1/B1),"invalid",A1/B1)
you would be shown 'invalid' in C1 but if B1 is a non-zero value then
you'd
get the true answer. You can substitute a value for "invalid" such as
zero
or one, like:
=IF(ISERROR(A1/B1),0,A1/B1)

The ISERROR() test will handle all errors, there are other options such
as
ISERR() handles any error except #N/A
while ISNA() only handles #N/A - good for use with VLookup and Hlookup
operations.

"SkiRJB" wrote:

Is there a way to get a formula to return a value instead of an error
(#DIV/0, #N/A, etc...) so when I usr that cell in a chart I can get a
value
at some where other than zero?