Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
jg jg is offline

Default Formatting Cells for Quick Input of Data

Thanks! That worked perfectly!!!

"Ashish Mathur" wrote:

Hi,

Say you are entering the numbers in column A. In column B, enter the
following formula

="E33213"&A1&"0P5" and copy down.

Once you have copied down below, highlight the range and copy Paste
Special Values. Now you can delete all the entries from column A.

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"JG" wrote in message
I need to enter over 200 serial numbers into Excel.

They all start with the same 6 characters and all end in the same 3 like
so:
E33213**0P5

Can I format the cells so that I only have to input the 2 middle
characters
and Excel will auto fill the other information?

The 2 characters I need to enter are letters, not numbers.

I tried the following without any luck:
E33213??0P5
E33213##0P5