Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default vlookup with 2 columns?

Take a look at this

http://tinyurl.com/6bc2yt

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"ben" wrote in message
So far I have just been experimenting with the first option and it works.
I am not familiar enough with the notation to know why though. A1:A4 and
B1:B4 define the range (array) of cells I want checked and putting the
array = to something implies a condition matching the cell I want. What
does the '--' before the condition mean? From what I read on SUMPRODUCT
each array needs to be the same size, but I would have thought that the
below example may have them not being the same size unless the '--' has
something to do with it. Would you be able to clarify this for me?

Thanks,
Bn

T. Valko wrote:
If the data to return is numeric as is demonstrated in your sample *and*
the combination of A1+X2 is unique:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A4="A1"),--(B1:B4="X2"),C1:C4)

Or, this generic version works for any data type.

Array entered** :

=INDEX(C1:C4,MATCH(1,(A1:A4="A1")*(B1:B4="X2"),0))

CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER)