Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RobertSD RobertSD is offline

Default Returning 0 instead of #N/A when no value is found

I appreciate people trying to offer help, but essentially calling me a liar
isn't productive. What I'm describing IS POSSIBLE, and is exactly how it has
functioned for me for over 5 years - UNTIL I got this new laptop. I am not
smoking crack, I am not new to this, and I have used the described
funtionality a bazillion times (and could recite it back in my sleep).
Please don't try to make me believe I don't know what I'm talking about.

Is there anyone who can think outside the box enough to believe what I'm
saying is true, and then hopefully offer something helpful?

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

"RobertSD" wrote in message
Thanks for the reply, but this is not how VLOOKUP has been functioning for
me
for the past 5 1/2 years (and we have been on 2007 for the past year).
Until
now, every time excel found an exact match and the column I requested
contained an empty cell, the formula would return #N/A. This worked
perfectly for me because many of the cells contain data (including the
value
0) while many others are empty. Now, are you telling me that when an
exact
match is found and the column I'm requesting has a zero in it, excel will
return a zero, and when the column I'm requesting is empty, excel will
return
a zero? An empty cell is not the same as a cell with the value 0 in it (a
cell with the value zero is not empty). How is that helpful if the
formula
can't differentiate between an empty cell and zero? As it stands today,
the
VLOOKUP function is no longer useful to me as a tool. I guarantee that I
have NEVER had to use any kind of IF statements with my VLOOKUPs, and I
use
VLOOKUP a lot.

One important note: I just received a new laptop last week. What excel
setting or configuration could be different that would cause the different
functionality?

Thanks,
Robert

Not possible, the only way you will get #N/A is when the lookup value does
not match in the 1st column , if the
cell that is returned from the 5th column is blank you will get zero and
that goes for all version that has VLOOKUP
as a function.

Peo Sjoblom