Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
ShaneDevenshire ShaneDevenshire is offline

Default sample vs. population proportion using a z-score in excel

Hi,

First I would look at Excel's z-test option. To run this you need the
Analysis ToolPak attached - choose Tools, Add-ins, and check Analysis
ToolPak. Then choose Tools, Data Analysis, and scroll the list to the last
option z-test Two Sample for Means and click OK. See it this does what you
need.

Second, look at the ZTEST function and see if this does what you need.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Christopher" wrote:

To all,

Needed some help on finding a formula to use in excel to calculate a z-
score that is comparing a sample proportion to a population
proportion. Here's the data:

Sample proportion = 0.31
N = 998
Population proportion = 0.49

I can find a z-score using a formula by hand: (z-score = -11.39), but
wanted to calculate in excel for many other variables. This is the
formula I used by hand:

p = sample proportion
Po = population proportion
alpha = 0.05 (z-critical = plus/minus 1.96)
non-directional test

z = (p-Po)/square root((Po(1-Po))/N)

When I use the standardize function in excel it gives me = -0.1153.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!