Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Louise[_2_] Louise[_2_] is offline

Default formula

David,
I did that and it did not help me much. As you have probably figured out I
have only dealt with simple formulas in the past.
I want to thank you for sharing your vast knowledge of info with me.
I did get the formula to work and the job is complete thanks to your help.
Thank you again.
--
Louise

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Hint:
Type the words "circular reference" into Excel help.
--
David Biddulph

"Louise" wrote in message
The formula you gave me is for Q44. I do not know what circular reference
is. But I do want to subtract Q40 from Q44 if Q37 is empty. Is it
possible?
--
Louise

"David Biddulph" wrote:

I thought you were talking about a formula to go in Q44? You can't
subtract
Q40 from Q44 in a formula in Q44 unless you're going to use a circular
reference.

You didn't tell us what error message you got from my formula, so it's
difficult for us to help you.
--
David Biddulph

"Louise" wrote in message
I need the formula to do if Q37 is empty subtract Q40 from Q44. With
this
formula I received an error msg, but it seems to be closer to what I
need.
Thank you for your assistance so far.
--
Louise

"David Biddulph" wrote:

=if($I$33="y",1,1-IF($Q$37="",$Q$40,$Q$37))
--
David Biddulph

"Louise" wrote in message
I have the following formula
=if($I$33="y",1,1-$Q$37) this is in Q44 cell
I need to add if Q37 is empty use Q40
I can't figure out how to write the formula.
What it does now is if there is a y in cell I33 subtract Q37 from
Q44,
but
now I need to add use Q37 or Q40
--