Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SJHMCSE SJHMCSE is offline

Default Excel 2007 Autofit

I see. Thank you so much, especially for the explanation.

"ShaneDevenshire" wrote:

Hi,

This is not a bug, this is how Microsoft intentionally coded it. As Jim
pointed out you can't best fit wrapped cells. However, there is a caveat to
that - if the cell is wider or taller than necessary and you apply best fit
it will size the cell down.

Why is it programmed this way? Suppose that you wrapped 20 lines of text
which was 1200 characters long and then you double-clicked that column to do
best fit, the column would become 1200 characters wide - actually the maximum
column width is 255, but you get the idea.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"SJHMCSE" wrote:

I am using Excel 2007. Im working on a spreadsheet where I would like to
have a row (which has been merged and wrapped) height adjust automatically as
the writing wraps around. Ive gone to the Home Tab, to the Cell Block, to
Format, to Autofit Row Height, and it doesnt work. Ive tried clicking
twice on the line item line to get it to automatically enlarge row, but that
didnt work either. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Sharon