Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Maintenance Maintenance is offline

Default Time Between Failure

If the data was in different sheets or columns i would just have to adjust
the formula to accomodate for that, but when i tried it, it didn't work, and
when i set up the info as i sent it to you on a new sheet i still recieved
errors. Any ideas?

"~L" wrote:

If this data was arranged in columns A through D starting in row 2 and not
exceeding row 7000, In column E row 2 enter:

=TEXT(AVERAGE(SUMPRODUCT(--($D$2:$D$7000=D2),--($C$2:$C$7000=C2),--(TIMEVALUE((LEFT($B$2:$B$7000,LEN($B$2:$B$7000)-2))&"
"&RIGHT($B$2:$B$7000,2))))),"d:[H]:mm")

And fill down to the end of your range.

It can be extended by changing the $7000s to the limits of your spreadsheet.

"Maintenance" wrote:

Date Time Cell Machine
10/16/2008 3:00pm Cell 1 Extractor
10/17/2008 7:00am Cell 1A Cure_Oven
10/18/2008 9:00am Cell 1A Resin_Handling
10/18/2008 8:00am Cell 1A Resin_Handling
10/17/2008 8:15pm Cell 1A Cure_Oven_Walking_Beams
10/17/2008 7:00pm Cell 1A Resin_Handling

As you see above, "Cell 1A" "Resin_Handling" has had 3 entries in the sheet,
what is the time between entries? The spreadsheet contains over 400 entries
and i would like the average between entries specific to Cell & Machine

"~L" wrote:

According to my understanding of your description, Column H and I contain
text that is not related to time.

http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqDat.html

has information on date/time math that you might find useful.

If not, try provideing an example of some of the data and what result you
are looking for.

"Maintenance" wrote:

I can't seem to figure out how to make this work, I need to find out what the
time between failure on a particular machine is. My spreadsheet is laid out
as follows:
Column B - Date
Column C - Time
Column H - Location (Cell 1, Cell 1A, Cell 1B)
Column I - Machine (Winder, Extractor....)

If i could see how much time (days, hours, mins) between entries on first on
Column H, then broken down further with Column I

Thank you