Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Col Gregg Col Gregg is offline

Default Column Headings, Fixing In-Place

Hey Sheeloo,
That sounds more like what I'm trying to do....however, it's very late and
I'm too tired to give it a try tonight. I'll try it out tomorrow and let you
know if that does the trick. I truly appreciate you helping a newbie like
myself learn Excel.

"Sheeloo" wrote:

Don't despair...

To sort select your range...
Click on Data|Sort
Click on 'My data has headers' on the top right corner of the sort options
box...
choose the columns you want to sort on.
"Col Gregg" wrote:

Thanks, Sheeloo. I'll give it a try but keeping the headers visible
on-screen while scrolling is not the problem. The problem is when I add new
data at the end and then have Excel do a sort, the subsequent headers get
"bumped" into a new row. I'm trying to prevent that from happening.

Am I trying to do something that can't be done???

Many Thanks!

"Sheeloo" wrote:

Select the first row and choose Window|Freeze pane

This will always keep the top row visible even if you scroll down...

"Col Gregg" wrote:

I use Excel 2007 and I'm a novice. I created a listing of my community
including column headings (i.e. Name, Address, etc). The problem I'm
experiencing is that when I add a new name at the very bottom of the listing
(the listing is nearly 3 pages long) and then have Excel sort the names to
but the new name in its proper alphabetical place, the process "bumps" the
column headings on the proceeding pages and the column headings are no longer
in their proper locations. Is there a way I can "fix" column headings so
that they always appear at the top of each page, even if I add new names to
the listing?

Much thanks from Florida!