Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DoubleZ DoubleZ is offline

Default vlookup or index match???

Kathy,

I obviously don't know the specifics of the layout of your other sheet, but
a combination of the INDEX and MATCH functions can do the trick (as you
alluded to in your post title).

Let's say the sheet containing E11 and H3 is sheet1, and the other sheet is
sheet2, and your list in sheet 2 is in the array $A$1:$D$50, the something
like this should work:

=index(sheet2!$A$1:$D$50,match(sheet1!$E$11,index( sheet2!$A$1:$D$50,,1),0),match(sheet1!$H$3,index(s heet2!$A$1:$D$50,1,),0))

It is pretty messy, but I hope that helps.

DoubleZ

"kathy" wrote:

Hi.. need help to figure out how to:

two worksheets in same book.. one sheet has list for drop down menu the
other has an invoice.. on the invoice I need cell I 13 which is to be a route
# to reference E 11 (which has name chosen from a drop down list) and then
match the day of the week from the date cell H3.. and return the route
number from either an exact match from list on other sheet or allow me to
choose from a second drop down list eliminating the need to match the date in
above scenario.. hope this makes sense and someone can help.. am new to this
stuff