Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
N Harkawat N Harkawat is offline

Default Lookup and match then return data from another sheet

Array function (copy this formula and enter in cell c2and press
ctrl+shift+enter
Index(Sheet2!c$1:c$500,match(1,(Sheet2!B$1:B$500=b 2)*(Sheet2!a$1:a$500=a2),0))

"Charlie510" wrote:

We manufacture hundreds of parts for multiple clients. In sheet1 there are
drop down menus to choose the client and the unique part description of the
parts that were produced. Sheet 2 contains a master list of part descriptions
and the corresponding part codes. I would like the part code to
automatically populate on Sheet1 once the corresponding part description has
been selected.

Sheet1: Choose clients and parts produced

Column A: Client B: Description C: Part Code
GE 5mm Bolt
GE 7mm Bolt
BMW 9mm Washer

Sheet 2: Master List

Column A: Client B: Description C: Part Code
GE 5mm Bolt INT5105
GE 6mm Bolt INT5106
GE 7mm Bolt INT5107
BMW 5mm Washer INT6005
BMW 6mm Washer INT6006
BMW 7mm Washer INT6007

Is it possible to lookup and match the part description and then return the
corresponding part code from Sheet2 to Sheet1?

Hope this makes sense.