Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Spurious files created on Save

Are you sure that your changes are really being saved?

When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8
characters--no extension) in the same folder.

If the save is successful, xl will delete the original (or rename it to its
backup name (like "backup of book1.xlk)) and if that's successful, xl will
rename the funny named file to the original's name.

Common things that get blamed for interruptions to this process are antivirus
software poking its head in or network errors--either permissions or physical
problems.

===
I've never seen excel create the funny named file, but not populate the file.

Chris Skrimshire wrote:

Possibly as a result of something inadvertantly tinkered with, I find that
each time I save versions of a particular spreadsheet, saved to the same or
different names, there is also created each time another file.

These other files are suffix-less, are of 0 kbytes size and have hexadecimal
number names of the form '8AAF8000' - a different, and rising, number each
Save time. Their presence, or deleting them, seems to have no consequence.

Qué?

Chris

--

Dave Peterson