Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
[email protected] dothansouthern@gmail.com is offline

Default Lookup + Max

On Oct 20, 3:53*pm, "T. Valko" wrote:
How do I get it to output the name of the school.

What if there are ties like in your sample?

1A Abbeville 85
1A New Brockton 85
1A Dale County 82

Do you want both schools?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

wrote in message

On Oct 20, 3:29 pm, "T. Valko" wrote:

I need the formula to extract the high score for Drum Major
in Class 1A.

A2:A9 = class
C1:E1 = column headers: Drum Major, Color Guard, Dance Line
C2:E9 = scores

Try this array formula** :

=MAX(IF(A2:A9="1A",C2:C9))

Or, to make it flexible where you can choose the category, enter the
category you want in a cell:

A25 = Drum Major

Also an array formula** :

=MAX(IF(A2:A9="1A",INDEX(C2:E9,,MATCH(A25,C1:E1,0) )))

CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

wrote in message

I've created a spreadsheet to tabulate scores for a band competition.
I need formulas to extract the high score in different classes and
categories.

Class Band "Drum Major" "Color Guard" "Dance Line"
Majorettes
1A Abbeville 85 86
1A New Brockton 85 73
85 86
1A Dale County 82 90 86
2A Early County 90 93 78
2A W.S. Neal 92 93 90
2A Russell County 97 88
3A Geneva 85 81 88
3A Valley 87 97 88

Best in Class 1A 2A 3A
Drum Major Rehobeth Early County
Geneva
Color Guard Freeport W.S. Neal Geneva
Dance Line Saint James W.S. Neal
Majorettes Slocomb W.S. Neal
Andalusia
Ex. I need the formula to extract the high score for Drum Major in
Class 1A. How do I do this? Thanks- Hide quoted text -

How do I get it to output the name of the school.- Hide quoted text -

Yesn I'll need both schools. Thanks