Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bill Bill is offline

Default Not able to open Excel files

Thank you SO much!!! It works! I have NO idea how I screwed this all up,
but it now works. I would have NEVER solved this on my own. I can not thank
you enough for your patience, and help! Thank you! - bill

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

You obviously have to replace the path with the path you are using on your
PC, that path reflected
on the website was just an example. Find your excel. exe and look up the
path and replace this

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe" /Regserver

For instance I use Office 2003 and my version would look like

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\Excel.exe" /Regserver

note the quotations and also make sure Excel is not running when you do this

I usually use this first

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\Excel.exe" /Unregserver

then after pressing enter and when the hour glass is closed I immediately do

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\Excel.exe" /Regserver

this can also be important:

start Excel go to toolsoptionsgeneral and clear the checkmark

if there is one in "Ignore other applications",

Peo Sjoblom

"Bill" wrote in message
Thank you. I just tried this. The moment I hit enter for the run
command...it immediately told me "can not find...."

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/StartupProblems.asp

look at the part called "Files will not open from explorer"

Peo Sjoblom

"Bill" wrote in message

start...control panel....folder options....file
types...xls....advanced...open.....edit....and then told to add "%1" to
the
end of the application line.... now...the files on the desktop which
were
opening slow....will not open at all..... "name not recognized"
excel
files from email will not open....but files I already had....do open
from
within excel.... things are deteriorating pretty fast since I did
this....
It will not let me just eliminate the %1 now.....

"Sheeloo" wrote:

Where and how did you add "%1"?
What happens when you try to open the Excel files from the desktop?
--
Always provide your feedback so that others know whether the solution
worked

"Bill" wrote:

I was instructed to add "%1" in the update files list. Now I can
not
open
any excel files on my desktop. I CAN open them from inside excel.
The
%1
will not allow itself to be deleted now! I was just trying to solve
extremely slow opening of files. Please help?