Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bernard Liengme Bernard Liengme is offline

Default Show number sequence breaks?

In A1:A15 I entered the series 101, 102, ... 115
Then I deleted A7, A11 and A12 (numbers 107,111,112)
In B1 I entered the formula

Now cells B8 and B12 (next to numbers 108 and 113) have *
If I wish I can deleted rows 7, 11 and 12 and have the same effect

Alternatively, select all the values except the first one and open the
Conditional Formatting dialog (it in the Format menus); use the formula
=A2<A1+1 and set a format to highlight the cell

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Teri M." <Teri wrote in message
Is there a way to format a spreadsheet so Excel will automatically show a
break a sequence of numbers? I have a very basic spreadsheet the purpose
of
which is to make sure we eventually receive all the numbered items.
Showing
a break in sequence will do the job. Kind of like you bank statement when
they list your checks and put and asterisk indicating a break in the check
number sequence.