Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default formulas appearing as text instead of computing

Tools/ Options/ View:
uncheck Formulas.

If it isn't that, make sure that you don't have the cells formatted as text.
If they are formatted as text, change to general and then re-enter the
formula.
--
David Biddulph

"Papa Jonah" wrote in message
We recently changed all of our computers and I am apparently struggling
with
new settings. In Excel, I am entering formulas such as =if(Q5=Q4,x,"").
In the cell, it is showing up as entered instead of an "x", "", or some
sort
of error.
To further test it, I entered =1+1 into a cell and I did not get 2, but
"=1+1" is visible in the cell.
What setting needs to be fixed?
TIA Papa