Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bill Bill is offline

Default Not able to open Excel files

Thank you. I tried the "open with" option, and it is saying "the file can
not be found" for all excel files I try. I do not know what you mean by
"deleting that option" I erase it...hit okay....and it just goes back to
previous setting... I have really messed up...

"Sheeloo" wrote:

Understood.
You should be able to edit the setting again.
Try deleting that option and then creating again...

Another things you can try is to
SHIFT-RIGHT CLICK on any Excel file on the desktop
Choose 'Open With|Choose Program' and choose Excel from the programs..
Click on 'Always use the selected...'
--
Always provide your feedback so that others know whether the solution worked
or problem still persists ...

"Bill" wrote:

start...control panel....folder options....file
types...xls....advanced...open.....edit....and then told to add "%1" to the
end of the application line.... now...the files on the desktop which were
opening slow....will not open at all..... "name not recognized" excel
files from email will not open....but files I already had....do open from
within excel.... things are deteriorating pretty fast since I did this....
It will not let me just eliminate the %1 now.....

"Sheeloo" wrote:

Where and how did you add "%1"?
What happens when you try to open the Excel files from the desktop?
--
Always provide your feedback so that others know whether the solution worked
or problem still persists ...

"Bill" wrote:

I was instructed to add "%1" in the update files list. Now I can not open
any excel files on my desktop. I CAN open them from inside excel. The %1
will not allow itself to be deleted now! I was just trying to solve
extremely slow opening of files. Please help?