ajojoel

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:31:02 -0700, "ajojoel" wrote:

I have an excel workbook I use for important bank information. I last used
it yesterday. It is password-protected and I have had no previous problems.
Today, when I tried to open it I received a message: cannot read file! I
can't open my workbook and it will be costly to recreate the information.
Does anyone have a suggestion for opening my file?

My excel workbook is saved to my hard drive. Although it is

password-protected, I have never had any trouble opening it. I have never
saved it to Word and I am not trying to open it with Word. When I type in
my password and click on open, I get a dialog box that states: "Unable to
read File." This is most perplexing. Has my file been corrupted? I even
restored my computer (Windows XP professional) to the data prior to my most
recent opening of the file (April 18). I thought that maybe restoring to an
earlier date would allow me to open the workbook. No luck! I still cannot
open it.

Do you have any suggestions? If yes, I would appreciate anything.

Thanks - Joel

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Are you trying to open from a floppy or CD?

Copy it to your hard drive first.

Did you perhaps open it in Word and save?

Word would have saved it Word format. If that's the case, open it in Word and
try to copy whatever you can to a new Excel workbook.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP