Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Find Matching Data Within Numerous Rows

Ok, if you simply want to know if the values are present in both data sets:

=IF(COUNTIF(Sheet2!A$2:A$50000,A1),"Found","Not Found")

However, based on your posted lookup formula maybe this is what you want:

=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A$2:B$50000,2,0)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"SMH" wrote in message
There are two worksheets, same workbook, with one unique field on both
sheets. Since the order of the data isn't consistant, I would like to
write
a formula to find out if the unique # is found.

For example:
Data set 1
A1=abc
A100=def

Data set 2
A2=def
A6=abc

I want the formula to find the value of A1 (abc) in the second data set,
in
this example in data set 2, A6.

The formula I am trying to use is =VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!B2:B50000,2,FALSE)

"T. Valko" wrote:

I've tried vlookup, but I'm not getting the results I was looking for.

How are we supposed to know what result you're looking for if you don't
tell
us!

Need more detail.

For example:

I want to find the value in A1 that is somewhere in the range L1:L1000
and
when found return the corresponding value from the range M1:M1000. The
data
to be returned is _____. (text, numeric, could be either)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"SMH" wrote in message
There are two sets of data with one field matching in both sets. I
want
be able to put a formula into a cell and find the matching field,
whether
it
is in cell 10 or cell 1000. I've tried vlookup, but I'm not getting
the
results I was looking for. Any other suggestions.