Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Roger Govier[_3_] Roger Govier[_3_] is offline

Default How do I count cells beginning with specific letter?

Hi Jonathan

Just modify Dave's formula.
Type a, b , c etc down column C, then use

=COUNTIF(A:A,C1&"*")
Copy down through cells C2:C26
--
Regards
Roger Govier

"jonathan" wrote in message
i think you mis understood, i need to know the number of first names in my
data, that begin with each particuliar letter of the alphabet, "A" through
"z"

the number of occurances of each letter in the alphabet? A-Z

ex.

a 10
b 9
c 3
d 29

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

=countif(a1:b99,"a*")

jonathan wrote:

I have a nuber of cells that contain names, I have to count the names
that
begin with with letter, a,through z, How do I do that?

"jay" wrote:

For example: I have a number of cells that contains names, and I have
count the name that begins with letter "A", what do I do?

many thanks

--

Dave Peterson