Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Guillett Don Guillett is offline

Default How to paste to alternating columns?

You should ALWAYS state the problem correctly the FIRST time to tell us what
you really want. Just one of my "pet peeves". Use the idea to paste one
column at a time.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

wrote in message
On Oct 15, 10:26 am, "Don Guillett" wrote:
Fire this from the DESTINATION workbook

Sub gettablefromsource()
'copies
Workbooks("sourcebook.xls").Sheets("sheet1") _
.Columns("b5:g50").Copy Range("a1")

'inserts cols
For i = Cells(1, Columns.Count) _
.End(xlToLeft).Column To 2 Step -1
Columns(i).Insert
Next i
End Sub

Oh, gosh, I didn't know it was going to be like that. It would work,
but it doesn't approach the problem correctly.

1. The table that is being copied isn't always in b5:g50; it varies
from table to table. Setting a specific cell range in the code won't
work.

2. In the target table in Workbook 2, the "blank columns" in between
are actually pre-populated with a calculation formula that will
operate on the data in the pasted-in columns. So, what I'm going to
do is select 4 columns in a table in one workbook, with a varying
location and varying number of rows. Then I'll go to another workbook
and paste it into a pre-existing table which has 10 columns, and
columns c, e, g, and i are blank. I need to paste the data into those
blank columns.

Ron M.