Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

Default Microsoft Excel Formulas

You could be facing 2 issues, text formatting (formulas placed in cells which
are inadvertently pre-formatted as text do not respond) and due to text
numbers imported (text numbers will not respond to formulas)

Try this:
Select the entire sheet with the imported data, format it as general (via
Format Cells General OK). That "clears" it of all text formatted cells.
Then go to a new sheet (just to be sure), copy an empty cell. Then come back
to your sheet with the imported data, select the data range, right-click
paste special check "add" ok. That should convert all text numbers at one
go to real numbers, w/o impacting the real numbers already there, if any.

Btw, your: =sum(E2+E4+E6..) should just be: =sum(E2,E4,E6..)
--
Max
Singapore
"Chris" wrote:
I have exported financial (budget figures) data into excel for 12 months,
changed cells to numbers and added columns to put in actuals. I have manually
entered formulas in the total column from each cell (eg =sum(E2+E4+E6..) etc
but when I go back and modify data in the individual cells it does not change
the total figure. What is wrong??
Thanks
--
CW