Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Bernard Liengme Bernard Liengme is offline

Default How can SUM a column based on values of other columns?

Have a look at SUMPRODUCT
Bob Phillips
J.E McGimpsey
http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/formulae/doubleneg.html

If you have Excel 2007, look at SUMIFS in Help

Come back with more questions if you need help with either
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Labkhand" wrote in message
I need help Suming up Amount column based on values of three different
columns.

Let's say I have the following Detail Data:

Month Institute Account Type Amount Memo
1/1/2008 Bank of America Checking 500 Deposit
1/1/2008 Bank of America Checking -200 Check #111
1/1/2008 Bank of America Saving 400 Deposit
1/1/2008 Bank of America Saving 150 Deposit
1/1/2008 CitiBank Checking 50 Deposit
1/1/2008 CitiBank Saving 100 Deposit

How can I SUM the AMOUNT column based on the unique values in the Month,
Institute, and Account Type columns?

The Summary result I am hoping for is:

Month Institute Account Type Balance
1/1/2008 Bank of America Checking 300
Saving 550
1/1/2008 CitiBank Checking 50
Saving 100

I have been trying to resolve this issue and I am stuck! Any help would
be
highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance