Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Teethless mama Teethless mama is offline

Default SUMIFS function help

=SUM(SUMIF(C5:C50,"Utilities-"&{"Internet","Phones","electricity"},E5:E50))

"teejay" wrote:

Hello All,

I am sort of making an expense sheet. I have multiple categories and
subcategories in it. I make expense entry in the sheet and then there is a
separate column where I want expenses as per major categories. For example, I
have utilities as a major category and utilities-internet,
Utilities-electricity etc. as subcategories. When I enter expenses I use
subcategories.

For getting sum of expenses falling under one major category, I am using
SUMIFS function. The issue that is baffling me is, I can not use multiple
subcategories. If I use only one subcategory, I get the details but if I try
to add more than one, it doesn't work.
My current formula example is =SUMIFS(E5:E50, C5:C50, "=Utilities-Internet,
Utilities-Phones, Utilities-electricity"), amounts are in column E and
categories are in column C.
I tried removing space after comma, tried putting slash (/) instead of
comma, it didn't work.

Can anyone tell me whats wrong with my formula?

Thanks