Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sheeloo[_2_] Sheeloo[_2_] is offline

Default Copying a table from Word

I am not aware of any inbuilt method...

What I do is something like the following (which you may have to play around
with to get it right);
In Word
Replace paragraph marks with something which is not likely to be in my cell
values like ~ or $...
Copy the table and paste in Excel... This avoids the splits into multiple
cells..
In Excel I use the formula in adjacent col
=SUBSTITUTE(B45,"$",CHAR(10))

Then format the cells with 'World Wrap'...
Once everything is the way I want I do Copy/Paste Special|Values...

Another way which sometimes meets the requirement is to insert a dummy col
in word table with one numbers or something like ROW.
This splits (for a row) the cell with max lines, say 10 into 10 cells and
merges the 10 cells (for the dummy cell) in the same row...

"BenO" wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to copy a table from Word into Excel. The cells contain mostly
text. Excel Help says to select the table cells in Word and the "copy"
command , then select the top left cell in Excel and use the "paste" command
- very simple.

However, the data is not pasted fromcell to cell: Many of the cells in the
word table contain paragraph breaks. Excel separates data from a single Word
cell into multiple cells based on these paragraph breaks.

Is there any way to get Excel to ignore the paragraph breaks within the text
and simple paste everything from the Word table cell into a since Excel cell?

Thanks.