Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
John C[_2_] John C[_2_] is offline

Default Sorting

Small correction:
C1: =""
--
John C

"amezera" wrote:

Ok, we're almost there. This time I did sort the entire area, sorted by B
then A and it kept all the data together as it should, however Pat and Amy
did not stay with Cindy. The column was sorted as if it was a normal sort,
so everyone was in alphabetical order, and Pat and Amy were indented.

"John C" wrote:

After inserting the helper column, did you select the entire area to be
sorted? Or did you select just column's A & B. You need to select the entire
area, and then sort on column B first, then column A second.

Hope this helps.
--
John C

"amezera" wrote:

I tried Sheeloo's formula and it sort of worked, but the data was no longer
accurate. When I sorted in the newly created column B, the data didn't sort,
but the formulas moved around; some of the names were lost and other names
were duplicated; and the data that follwed in columns C,D,E, etc were sorted
to the wrong people. Perhaps this is a lost cause?

"amezera" wrote:

I have a list I need to sort. Column A has rows with indented text that
needs to stay with above non-indented rows. How do I sort the whole column
to keep indented text with non-indented text row above? In the below
example, my end result should be Cindy with her group of Pat & Amy should
come before Jack, but Pat and Amy remain indented. Is there a way to do this
by keeping Amy & Pat indented in the same column A?

Example:

1 Jack
2 Cindy
3 Pat