Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default understanding what part of a formula represents

COUNTIF($F$2:$F$20,B2) will return the count of the criteria in the
referenced range. The criteria is B2 and the referenced range is F2:F20.

This count is being used as the logical test in the IF function. In plain
English:

If the count of B2 in the range F2:F20 is greater than or equal to 1 then
return the string "remains on report" otherwise return the string "fell off
report".

This can also be expressed as

=IF(COUNTIF($F$2:$F$20,B2),"remains on report","fell off report")

If the count is any number other than 0 then the logical test is TRUE and
returns the string "remains on report". If the count is 0 then the logical
test is FALSE and returns the string "fell off report".

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Mrs Luke" wrote in message
I have numbers in column F and I want to see if they are duplicated
anywhere
in column B. I was given a formula that seems to work but I do not
understand part of the formula. The part I want to know what is
represents
is =1
The formula is as follows:
=IF(COUNTIF($F$2:$F$20),B2)=1,"remains on report","fell off report")
What does greater then or equal to 1 mean?
--
mrs luke