Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Steve[_16_] Steve[_16_] is offline

Default extract characters from filename

Thanks Peo.

I have the files stored in a directory according to the year they were
created / modified. I guess I will have to change the formula you
provided when the year changes...

---
Steve

On Oct 6, 6:45*pm, "Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
Assuming that this is US date format, assuming there will always be 2
character each for month and day

=--TEXT(MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("xls",CELL("file name",A1))-5,4)&"08","00\/00\/00")

format as date

btw, how do you know it is 2008

Peo Sjoblom

"Steve" wrote in message

I need a formula which will extract the last 4 characters from a file
name (before the extension). I would then need to convert this to the
proper date format if possible. For example, if the file name is
09291005.xls, I would want to extract the "1005", and have that become
the date, "10/05/2008. Is it possible to format a cell so that it
shows the date in this way, after extracting the information from the
filename?

Thanks in advance for any assistance...

---
Steve