Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Vairable Fields in a VLookup

The function you'd want to use that's built into excel is =indirect(). But that
function returns an error if the sending workbook is closed.

If that's a problem, then Laurent Longre has an addin (morefunc.xll) at:
http://xcell05.free.fr/

That includes =indirect.ext() that may help you.

Paul Peterson - Velox Consulting, LLC wrote:

I am using a simple Vlookup below:

=VLOOKUP(A58,[a74]Task_Export_Table!$C$1:$J$200,4,FALSE)

This lookup is in spreadsheet A. It references data from spreadsheet B, a
different spreadsheet located on my hard drive. Because the spreadsheets
will move to other computers/hard drives, I want to allow people to specify
the location of B: I'm using [a74], which includes the drive location
(P:\Testing\etc.) in the vlookup to accomplish this. Unfortunately, if I
change the value in a74, the vlookup doesn't reference the new value but it
appears that it references the original value in A74. Any help would be
appreciated.

Paul C. Peterson.

--

Dave Peterson