Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Difficult Average Function

Having read all the other replies I guess you got something that works?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Connie Martin" wrote in message
Please see further posts here. I'm looking for something a little more in
your formula. So far, yours is the only one that works except when the A9
date is not found in A42:A5000, then I get #DIV/0! How do I fix that?
Connie

"T. Valko" wrote:

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Connie Martin" wrote in message
Thank you! The array formula works. Thank you so very much. I really
appreciate your help! Connie

"T. Valko" wrote:

Try one of these:

=SUMIF(A42:A5000,A9,J42:J5000)/COUNTIF(A42:A5000,A9)

Or, this array formula** :

=AVERAGE(IF(A42:A5000=A9,J42:J5000))

CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Connie Martin" wrote in
message
I am stumped. How in the world do I write this formula?

In a cell, I want it to find the date in A9 in A42:A5000 and then
average
the numbers in J42:J5000 for that date. Hope this is clear. Many
thanks
in
advance.
Connie