Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Sean Timmons Sean Timmons is offline

Default Big Trouble with what I thought would be a simple Excel Formul

Gotcha.

Put this in H2:

=INDEX($C$1:$G$20,1,MATCH(MAX($C2:$G2),$C2:$G2,0))

and copy down.

"Flip@work" wrote:

Hi Sean,

Thanks for your help. This is the problem as best as I could explain it:

I have 24 rows (representing 24 test questions) with each row having 6 cells
of Data entered to each column B,C,D,E,F,G (representing Total, Unskilled,
Novice,Confident,Trained, Expert). Column A is used for names like "Question
1".

The first cell (2B, "Question 1") gives the sum total of cells C,D,E,F,G.

Each of the other cells (C,D,E,F,G) have a value entered (representing the
number of reponses for that question).

I want the cell for column H to display the top (Title Cell) of the column
whos cell has the highest value for that corresponding row of columns
C,D,E,F,G.

I wish I could post the actual excel sheet. I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Flip

"Sean Timmons" wrote:

Makign sure I udnerstadn..

You are in, say, cell A4. You want to have a forula enter the largest value
from row 4 in other columns.

If that's it, do:

=MAX(B4:Z4)

"Flip@work" wrote:

I want a cell from one column to display the value of the top of another set
columns from the highest valued cell of the corresponding row. Is that
possible?