Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Find first character in cell

Your formula will return "blue" if A, B or C exists anywhere in A1... I
think the OP wanted to return "blue" only if the first character was an A, B
or C. This formula should do that...

=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(LEFT(A1),"ABC")),"blue","")

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Pete_UK" wrote in message
Variation of my second formula:

IF(OR(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("A",A1)),ISNUMBER(SEARCH("B" ,A1)),
ISNUMBER(SEARCH("C",A1))),"blue","")

If you meant that you want to colour the cell blue, then you would
need to do this with Conditional Formatting.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 2, 1:51 pm, mahmad wrote:
thanks for your help guys, I want to expand the idea a little further.

If cell A1 = ABCD

I would like to output in another cell to something different depending on
the letter.

e.g.

A1 = ABCD if A or B or C then blue

thanks

"Pete_UK" wrote:
Try this:

=IF(UPPER(LEFT(A1,1))="A","yes","no")

to check for the first character, or this:

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("A",A1)),"yes","no")

to check anywhere in A1. Of course, the "A" could be replaced by a
cell reference which contains the letter you are interested in. Both
of these are case-insensitive.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 2, 12:31 pm, mahmad wrote:
Hi,

I want to be able to find if a particular cell which contains a
specific
letter and if it does then say yes in another cell. I am using Excel
03.

for example.

cell a1 = ABC (i am interesed in letter A) as this cell includes
letter i
want a YES in cell a2.

thanks

Mo- Hide quoted text -