Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Newbie problem: numbers with +positive and -negative indicators

You need to fill the parentheses in the SUM() formula with the range you are
tyring to sum, e.g. =SUM(A1:A3). You don't need to type it in; if you put
your cursor between the parentheses you can then just drag across the range
of cells tou want to sum and it will put the reference of that range in the
formula for you.

If the cell is showing the formula as text, rather than the result, then
you've probably got the cell formatted as text, so format the cell to
general, then re-enter the formula.
--
David Biddulph

".Net Sports" wrote in message
On Oct 2, 7:43 am, "RagDyeR" wrote:
=A1+A2+A3

RD

Thanks for the responses.... the problem I have is, I need to add
these numbers in this column just like they are and have +9.5 as the
result (i'm using Office2003 version) and it won't let me autosum it
even when i remove the plus signs on the positive numbers, it just
spits out an "=sum()" where the +3 cell is.... I need to add these
like they are positive and negative numbers; how do I go into Format
Cells to do this????

".Net Sports" wrote in message

I have a column of numbers that i need to have a positive or negative
indicator to add up with the AutoSum function,

+3
-3.5
+10

...but can't get the autosum function on the row below to
calculate...i get an empty " =sum( ) " display; what is the correct
way to format these numbers so i can get the total of +9.5 with this
column