Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sandy Sandy is offline

Default is vlookup with an inverted start point possible?

Smashing good Dr Valko. Works great. I don't understand how it works or
what the parts are however. If possible could you dumb it down a little and
explain what the mix of functions are? Or if this is a modification of a
function.... or both. I'd like to understand this so I can possibly use this
in other senarios, in particular what makes it search for the "last" matching
entry.

"T. Valko" wrote:

In other words, you want to find the *last* instance of 150 and return the
corresponding value from olumn L?

If that's the case try this:

A1 = 150

=LOOKUP(2,1/(E2:E1011=A1),L2:L1011)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Sandy" wrote in message
I'm using 2007 exel and the vlookup function seems to be what I
need....Almost. I have a growing list of numbers, curently with over 1000
rows. I want to lookup a number in column E and get the corresponding
number
in column L, my range is E2:L1011. When I set up a vlookup it finds the
number 150 no problem however it starts looking at the top of the range at
E2. I want the function to start at E1011 and work its way up so I get
the
most recent entry. Any Ideas?