Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
easymac easymac is offline

Default Graphing the maximum and minimum values

Well like I said in my response to Shane's reply, it's not finding the min
and max values that is the problem, it's getting it to chart that shows only
the range. I am able to get close: stacking the two values on top of each
other, for example, but the only problem is that it sums the two values
rather than taking the difference.

I'm also able to line the minimum value and maximum value up side by side
per letter in a bar chart, which shows the difference more clearly, but I
would like it if I could remove those two bars and just have one bar that
graphs that range of difference.

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

It worked for me, so try again.
Make sure all B cells have numbers in them
Be sure to use shift+ctrl+enter
You may send me a file -- my private email, not the group -- if you wish;
just remove capital letters in my dummy address

best wish
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"easymac" wrote in message
Bernard,

Thanks for the reply, but I seem to be encountering an error. I've done
exactly what you've said (I think) and in my E column I am getting "#NUM"
errors with Excel telling me it is a (duh) Number Error.

I'm on Excel 2003 if that makes a difference.

Also, I've been able to set up a Pivot Chart where it can graph for each
letter in A the min and max values, but it stacks them on top of each
other.
I'd like for it to subtract them. Would that be a simpler problem to
solve?

Thanks

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

In D1:D10 enter the text A, B, C, .... J
In E1 enter =MAX(IF(A:A=D1,B:B))-MIN(IF(A:A=D1,B:B))
but commit it with SHIFT+CTRL+ENTER as it is an array formula (Excel will
enclose it in braces { } )
Copy this down to E10
Make chart using D1:J10 for you data
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP
http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
remove caps from email

"easymac" wrote in message
Hi, everyone.

Let's say I have two columns. Column A has the first ten letters of
the
alphabet, each listed 4 times (A1=A, A2=A, A3=A, A4=A, A5=B, A6=B,
etc),
and
in column B there are, let's say, random numbers between -10 and 10. I
want
to create a chart that will graph the range using the maximum and
minimum
values for each letter in column A. This would of course be a one-axis
graph
(graphing only the values in B on the x-axis with the different values
in
being placed on top of (or to the side) of each other.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bobby