Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bill Sharpe Bill Sharpe is offline

Default Entering large numbers into Excel

k_hersh wrote:

I work for the Federal Government....more specifically, the area that
publishes the "Daily Debt to the Penny" figure. As of yesterday, we hit the
10 trillion mark, but are unable to publish the full figure. Now we're
scrambling around trying to come up with a quick solution because our numbers
have to be published on a deadline. The other software mentioned
(Mathematica or Matlab) are probably not an option because they're not
supported here at the Bureau. Entering the number in 2 different cells or as
text are also not options for us. We need a fix ASAP.

Getting off topic here, but with the debt at 10 trillion dollars plus, I
would say calculating the number to the exact penny every day is an
exercise in futility. (The first word that popped to mind was
"stupidity", but let's leave it at futility)

Still off topic and on soapbox: Perhaps it's time to eliminate the penny
as a coin, since it costs more than one cent to produce each one.

Back to topic: Workarounds are available as others have suggested.

Bill