Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ashish Mathur[_2_] Ashish Mathur[_2_] is offline

Default is vlookup with an inverted start point possible?

Hi,

Assume that your data is set up like this in A1:B6

Item 1 10
Item 2 11
Item 3 12
Item 4 13
Item 1 14
Item 1 15

In A9, enter Item1 and in B9, use the following array formula
(Ctrl+Shift+Enter)

=INDEX(A1:B6,MAX(($A$1:$A$6=A9)*ROW(A1:A6)),2)

Ashsih Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"Sandy" wrote in message
I'm using 2007 exel and the vlookup function seems to be what I
need....Almost. I have a growing list of numbers, curently with over 1000
rows. I want to lookup a number in column E and get the corresponding
number
in column L, my range is E2:L1011. When I set up a vlookup it finds the
number 150 no problem however it starts looking at the top of the range at
E2. I want the function to start at E1011 and work its way up so I get
the
most recent entry. Any Ideas?