Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bpeltzer bpeltzer is offline

Default Countif formula isn't adding up right!

It would really help to see the formula you used. But one fairly common
issue that could cause the counts to come up short would be using relative
references in your range and then autofilling the formula. That is:
=countif(A1:A10,"Department 1"). Instead, you should use
=countif($A$1:$A$10,"Department 1"). Those dollar signs make the references
absolute, so they won't change as you copy the formula down or across.
Without them, the references change as you autofill so that you're not
pointing to the entire source table.

"Stacie" wrote:

So I have two columns of data, Department and College.

I am using the countif formula to count how many times a department appears
in the department column, but then when I sum the counts, it doesn't add up
correctly. I am almost positive that everything is spelt right, since I just
copied and pasted. So I am wondering if the formula isn't counting them
right and advice for that or should I be using a different formula. Any help
would be appreciated! Thank you!