Mr.PC

Default Excel 2000 insists on typing a formula

I was sent a spreadsheet by a coworker that I want to edit. Specifically, I
want to have two date columns, and a third that calculates the number of days
between two dates. On a sheet I created from scratch, everything worked fine
(format the dates, the "# of days" column formatted as a number). In this
sheet nothing works. Every time I try to type a date, i.e. any number with a
slash, it assumes I want to type a formula and adds an = sign and then
calculates the date a 1/0/1900. It shows my most recently used formulas in
the Name Box, which my other sheet doesn't do until I hit the = key. The
problem sheet seems to want to always add the = sign. I also want to
convert a lot of dates that were entered as text into formatted dates so I
can do the calculation, but I can't get past the fact that the program
insists on creating a formula where I don't want one. I've spent hours on
the web and Microsoft trying to find an answer ...... Thanks in advance.
--
Mr.PC